Friday, July 28, 2006

And the nurse said “We’re so sorry, we’ve got some bad news…”

So we got to the hospital for 7:00am. Pace went through all of the necessary tests and she was told the room she would be recovering in. We settled in, waiting for the time they’d come to get her for surgery. We’ve known about this day for a month and I’ve rearranged my schedule and taken holidays to be here to help with the start of Pace's recovery. Two other patients of Dr. Rami were put in the same room. An 81 year old woman was getting a tumor the size of a cherry removed from her remaining breast, and younger wonan in her late 30s was getting a lumpectomy. One by one they were taken to the operating theatre.

About 12:00 I accompanied Pace to the room where they injected her with a radioactive serum. They made 5 injections into her breast to check if or how far the cancer had spread to her lymph nodes. There is a blue dye or a radioactive isotope used for this proceedure. The radioactive one is supposed to reduce the possibility of error for the doctor.

Pace was told there would be a small burning sensation. I’ve learned from experience when a nurse or a dentist or doctor says there will be a small amount of pain, they’re usually lying. She said it burned going in and stayed that way for 10 minutes.

About 12:45 that proceedure was finished and we were taken back up to the hospital day room because they isotope needs to settle into the breast for a bit in order to do it’s job.

About 1:15 a small soft spoken nurse comes to Pace and says “We’re so sorry; your surgery has been cancelled.”

Pace looked shocked, I felt like I’d taken a heavy punch to the gut. Pace’s mom Francine was lost for words; and let me tell you that when my mother in law is lost for words it’s a rare moment.

Then she said. “they always make us tell the patient. The doctor will be coming to see you.”

“So what’s the new date for the operation?” I asked.

“You’ll have to call the Doctor’s secretary for her to reschedule.” She replied.

The 81 year old lady who had been operated on first speaks up, “they told me if they didn’t operate on me this morning that there would be nothing available until August 18.”

I imagine myself expressing my anger by throwing things, and denting the lockers with my fists and feet or maybe knocking a couple of heads together. The feeling loses some intensity bit still remains.

The nurse says again “we’re so sorry” and leaves.

Ninety minutes later we’re still waiting for the doctor. Pace is sleeping and her mom went to get something to eat. I can’t eat, I am beyond angry and adrenaline has shut down my appetite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is #$%@! unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

That is so disappointing...