Monday, October 30, 2006

Zoladex: Astra Zenica’s Snake Oil?


Pace told me something today that piled on another layer of anger and frustration. Like anyone going through a prolonged health crisis needs another one! The Zoladex is not working, her period started tonight. If you pay $439 for a prescription, you'd expect it to work. Right?

I know I followed all of the instructions on the Zoladex to the letter, I read them three times to be sure, listened to the condescending tone of the pharmacist in training as he dicuseed what to do. I pinched the skin and stuck Pace the heavy gage needle (look at a small and a large paper clip and think of a thickness between the two and about 1.5 inches long) straight to the hilt at a 30 degree angle, over 2 inches below below the horizontal line across belly buutton as Pace gasped in pain, pushed the plunger as far as it would go. When I pulled the needle the protective sheath snapped shut over the needle. According to the documentation it will only do this if the plunger is pushed to its maximum to deliver the Zolodex.
Well Pace’s ovaries have fired up again. (She warned me she was fertile.) And nevertheless the doctors have been telling us we really need to induce menopause for Pace’s safety.

We’ll get more answers next week after Pace talks to the oncology nurse managing Pace’s clinical study.

No comments: