Saturday, October 14, 2006

$115,739.47 per kilo!

Pierre the wee one and I did the errands this morning. The last trip was to the pharmacy to pick up the Zoladex.

Sometimes I get frustrated with the way folks in the medical profession patronize me. Today, Yannik the “apprentice pharmacist” asked if I understood the meaning of subcutaneous injection. When I said yes I did, he sped up into a rapid fire explanation of that type of injection, of the drug, its side effects and to be sure that I called at least three work days before Pace needs a refill.

“We don’t keep drugs like this one in stock.” Yannick said.
“I’m not surprised it’s expensive”
“You know that three work day’s doesn’t include weekends?”
I bit my tongue, hard before asking. “Can I have the drug information sheet please.”
“But I just told you about it.”
I bit my tongue, harder and gestured my best Gallic shrug

Zoladex is an AstraZeneca medical consumable. It is prescribed in the case of cancer of the breast and prostate, endometriosis or removal of the endometrial sac. It can only be prescribed for two years as it is too concentrated and could cause other health issues. How reassuring is that? Then there's the brutal website.

It’s available in two types, one every 28 days or one every 3 months, the monthly costs $440.00 for 3.8mg, the quarterly injection is $1,500.00. Yes, I know there are research costs but yikkes! That equals a street price of $115,739.47 per kilo ($52,608.85 per lb.)

No wonder Dr. Rami figured that we’d opt for the Ovariectomy sooner than later.

No comments: