Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Remembrance Day I’d rather forget

I was driving to Montreal to pick up my wife and daughter from the in-laws when Pace called.
She told me she'd been at the Hospital and saw the surgeon who performed a biopsy on the lump in her breast. Just from his examination and 40 years of experience he was over 90% sure it was not a cyst but Breast Cancer. She was composed, per usual, but shocked and rocked.

Even though I pulled the car over, loaded up the CD player with my 6 favorite CDs, played them loud and sang along loud all the way to Montreal. My voice was ragged when I got there but I'd been partially able to drown out the voices in my head, the ones playing out all the worst case scenarios. Still, that was the longest drive of my life.

When I saw Pace tonight I gave her a kiss and let her cry on my shoulder and stayed strong.


No comments: