Monday, September 18, 2006

Gotta tune out the tube

Dealing with the day to day stresses of fighting cancer is stressful enough. While I admit to being a news addict a steady diet of reports of violence does little for improving a mood.

Monday, was the 5th aniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and it seemed to be the only available programming in the 400 channel universe.
  • How many times do we have to watch 65 people die and seal the fate of 600 others as United 175 crashes into the south tower?

Tuesday, 3 people found stabbed to death at the Chelsea Hotel
  • Endless tales of violence and a "veritable bloodbath"

Wednesday, Kimveer Gill shoots 20 and kills one at Dawson College

  • All day gut wrenching reports that rip open the emotional scars of the December 6, 1989. I'd moved into my apartment in Monreal Nov. 1st 1989. The Ecole Polytechnique shootings traumatised the city till Christmas.

Thursday, My workplace changes as half of the company is sold

  • No idea how my job will be affected
Friday, the Pope stirs the geopolitical pot
  • History teaches us that extremists of any ideology are dangerous.

I have to stop reading the papers and listening to the news. Even if it important in my business to be current, compounded with the cancer concerns I finding it's too much negative information; the displays of anger and visions of anguish are simply disturbing and depressing.

No comments: