Sunday, January 21, 2007

Erin Brockovich

When I came into the living room Pace was watching the movie Erin Brockovich.

It's relevant as Erin Brockovich triumphed over the odds, she proved herself, and reinvented her life. Pace has voiced an intention of helping out young women, especially young mothers with Breast Cancer.

There is a poignant scene where Erin is talking with Donna Jensen about her cancer diagnosis. Donna has to get a double masectomy and a hysterectomy. It went something like this.

Donna: "I've had so many cysts I never figured this one would be cancerous."
Erin: "We'll make sure you get well taken care of."
Donna's eyes start welling up with tears.
Donna: "Can I ask you something?"
Erin: "Anything."
Donna: "If I don't have breasts or a uterus anymore am I still a woman?"
Donna starts crying.
Erin reaches over and gently takes her hand
Erin: "Of course, you'll always be a woman. You just won't have to buy any more underwire or maxi-pads."
Donna and Erin both smile.

This mirrors an ongoing discussion Pace and I have had. More on that in another post.

No comments: